Wednesday, April 9, 2008

I'm not entitled

The other day, my four year old son Kale had just gotten up from a nap and was hungry. My wife Jill was coming over to where we were sitting with a banana for him. Before she gave Kale the banana, Jill asked him if she could have a bite. With all the macho-ness he could muster, Kale said, "NO momma, it's mine!"
Now how could it be his? I'm the one who made the money to buy the banana. Jill is the one who went shopping for it and picked it out. It's not his. However, for a four year old (who has lacked for nothing), Kale felt a certain amount of entitlement to the banana. He felt it was his, he was hungry, and no one was going to have any of it. The only thing that made it his was when Jill handed it to him and he took it.
This little episode got me thinking about how I act when God asks me to give back 10% of my finances. Really all the money I earn comes from God. Everything I have is from God, He created it, it's His. and God gladly gives this stuff to me and all He's asking for in return is a bite. And a lot of the time I've acted like my son... "It's MINE!"
Needless to say I was convicted...
And I have Joyfully been giving God His bite ever since. After all, it's His anyway.

By the way, Kale also gladly gave Jill a bite of the banana a little later...
That's my boy.

0 comments:

It's About...

Leadership
Humor
Triumphs
Struggles
Deep Thoughts
Brain puking
And everything else that goes along with being inside the world of a Professional Christian

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP